IMS leads a strong regional component in the MENA region. The objective is to complement and strengthen national initiatives through regional peer exchanges and collaboration. IMS’ longtime interventions in the MENA region have demonstrated how local initiatives and stakeholders benefit from the substantive, professional, critical inputs and solidarity that emerge from exchanges across borders.
The regional programmes include:
- The MENA Media Law Reform process, which was initiated in 2013, will continue to enable partners and stakeholders to strengthen knowledge about media policy and regulatory frameworks; foster participatory processes; lead advocacy for much needed reforms; and act as a community of men and women advancing free speech, a fundamental prerequisite for democracy and good governance.
- Arab Reporters for Investigative Journalism (ARIJ) has been an IMS partner for more than a decade. ARIJ is now a well-established brand and has undoubtedly played an instrumental role in strenghtening investigative journalism in the MENA region.
Read more about IMS and ARIJ.
- Through the Documentary filmmaking programme, IMS has supported more than 100 documentary films and around 20 co-productions in the Arab world. The programme facilitates a space and a platform for alternative voices and viewpoints that are primarily overlooked in mainstream media.
- The Twinning programme is a platform for collaboration between Arab and Danish media professionals. The programme is a means to foster exchange between professionals on various levels between journalists, editors, photographers and media managers.
- IMS will also continue to facilitate and support the work of a network of digital frontrunners in the MENA region, exploring and testing regional mobile-based platforms and business opportunities.
Contact person for Regional
Michael Irving Jensen
Head of Department, Middle East and North Africa
+45 8832 7000
According to IMS Director Jesper Højberg, holding political actors to account remains a key aim of investigative journalism. But perhaps...
This year’s conference on investigative journalism in the Middle-East, the Arab Reporters for Investigative Journalism (ARIJ) Forum, celebrated new journalistic tools such as AI and virtual...
Op-ed by executive director of ARIJ, Rana Sabbaggh, prior to the 11th Annual Forum....